• If you or a member of your household have a high temperature or develop a persistent cough, everyone in the household must self-isolate for fourteen days. If you still have a temperature after seven days, contact 111 online or by telephone. In an emergency, call 999. You can access 111 online from the home page, click the red arrow in the top right-hand corner and select NHS 111.
• We are still providing services, but in a different way. This is to protect the population of Milton Abbas and the surrounding area and our team.
• We are moving most of our appointments to telephone, or patients can email the surgery on [email protected] or use the eConsult service on our website. Only patients who urgently need to be seen in person will be invited in by a clinician.
• If you have a pre-booked appointment, please cancel it if you possibly can.
• If you think you may need to be seen or would like some help or advice, please ring and speak to one of the reception team. Reception cannot book you a face-to-face appointment, but they will add you to a triage list and a clinician will contact you.
• If you urgently need to be seen, please contact the Practice via telephone. If it is an emergency, please dial 999.
• We cannot do any testing for COVID-19. We cannot request testing for COVID-19.
• We cannot provide fit notes or letters relating to COVID-19.
What Can You Do To Help?
• Follow the guidance about self-isolation and think about social distancing.
• Cancel any appointments that you don’t need.
• Use the surgery email or the eConsult service on our website if you need non-urgent help or advice. You will get a response within two working days, but probably quicker than that.
• Please request scripts online or via the telephone. We will be phasing out paper script requests over the coming weeks, to protect our staff. We will be using electronic prescribing as much as possible.
• Update your mobile phone number either online or phone reception, so that we can contact you more easily.
• Spread the word – we are putting the safety of our patients and team first and therefore are changing how we operate.
• Wash your hands.
• Look after each other!
Change in Guidance
The guidance for COVID-19 has changed. Anyone with a new continuous cough and/ or a high temperature should self-isolate for 14 days, along with the rest of the household, from the onset of symptoms. You should NOT contact NHS 111 unless your symptoms deteriorate. There is now a Community Home Visiting Service in Dorset who will manage the care of anyone self-isolating when needed. If you need any advice or support, please contact 111 online, ring 111, or in an emergency please call 999.
Changes in Service
Milton Abbas Surgery is totally committed to supporting our patients and providing the best possible care in all circumstances.
To enable us to do that, we have been forced to make some very difficult decisions. As of Monday 16th March, we suspended all non-urgent appointments and services, and moved any routine contact to telephone consultations.
If you have a pre-booked appointment and think you don’t need to be seen urgently, please contact us via SystmOnline, email ([email protected]), use the eConsult facility on our website, or telephone the surgery. You could also reply to your appointment SMS/ text if you received one. If you think you do need to be seen, please contact Reception or send an email. You will then receive a triage call or other contact from a member of the clinical team. You may find that our doors are shut if you come to the Practice. This is to ensure that only patients who need to come to the Practice do come in. Please ring the doorbell and wait patiently for assistance. You will be asked some triage questions before entering. If you have a high temperature or a persistent cough, you will be asked to return home and contact 111. Our staff may be wearing PPE – please do not be alarmed.
Please note that our Reception team will not be able to book any face-to-face appointments. They can only add you to a triage list.
During the lockdown period we will no longer be opening our Milborne branch site and will be concentrating our resources at the Milton Abbas practice. We will keep you informed should this change.
Fit Notes and Letters
If you require a fit note or letter for reasons other than COVID-19, please request it over the phone,via email or by using the eConsult service on our website. It will then be emailed or texted to you as a pdf or can be posted if necessary. Please do not attend the Practice to collect it.
We will not be providing fit notes or letters relating to COVID-19. If you still have a high temperature after seven days, 111 will provide you with documentation that will be accepted by your employer. If you feel worse, or need urgent medical attention, please contact 111 online, call 111 or, in an emergency, dial 999.
Suspension of Services
We are temporarily suspending non-urgent services. This list is under review, but for now includes:
• Travel jabs and advice
• Ear syringing
• Private medicals
• Private reports
• Minor surgery, including cryotherapy
• Routine annual blood tests for those who are well
• Chiropractic and physio appointments- these will be triaged via telephone by the clinician
• Vitamin B12 injections
• All wound management
• Leg and foot ulcers
• Stitch removal
• INR clinic
• Prostap injections
• Depo injections
• Childhood Immunisations
• Midwife appointments
• 6 week mother and baby checks
• Clinically indicated blood tests for those undergoing treatment
• Asthma and COPD reviews will be conducted over the phone with patients
• Diabetes reviews will continue with some appointments conducted over the phone Prescriptions
All prescription services will continue as normal. For patient safety we are only able to issue 28 day repeats. Prescriptions will take 3 full working days- please do not order any earlier as you will not receive it any sooner and you put our dispensers under unnecessary pressure. If you wish to place an order- please do so over the phone or by using online access. If you are required to self-isolate, we do have a delivery service every day but would ask that you do your utmost to find a family member, friend or neighbour to collect on your behalf.
Thank you so much to everyone for all your kind gifts and well wishes. They are very much appreciated by the whole team and have lifted our spirits in these trying times!
We would also like to thank Neighbourcar, our Patient Voice Group and the hoard of volunteers who are providing help to the community through food and medication deliveries and support to those in need. We are very grateful for all that you do.
For further information on Covid-19 or to access 111 online, please click on the red arrow in the top right-hand corner of the home page.