Who is a Carer?
A carer is a person of any age who provides care for someone with a long-term illness, mental ill health, addiction, disability or frailty, who would not be able to care for themselves without support. A carer may live with, or apart from, the person they care for. Caring for a friend or loved one can be very rewarding but can also be very difficult and isolating. Please let the surgery know if you care for someone, and we can note this on your records.
Surgery Carers Lead
Kelly, our Social Prescribing Lead, is also our Carers Lead here at the surgery. If you are in need of support or would like information on services available, she can help to point you in the right direction. Please call the surgery and ask to speak with her, or send an email to [email protected] for her attention.
Carer Support Dorset
We encourage all carers looking after someone over the age of 18, to register with Carer Support Dorset. Carer Support Dorset can help you to access services and information to make your caring role easier. They are also able to give you access to the Dorset Carers’ Card which can save you money.
Virtual Carers Pack
We have a carers pack full of useful information and advice. If you would like a paper copy of the pack, please feel free to collect one from the surgery.
- Introduction Letter
- A Practical Guide to Healthy Caring
- Carer Support Dorset Brochure
- Carers Emergency Plan
- Herbert Protocol
- Priority Services Leaflet
- If Only I’d Known That Booklet
Resources & Websites
- Carer Support Dorset
- Dorset Carers Hub
- Dorset Carers Hub App
- Leonardo Trust
- Counselling 4 Carers
- Carer Support Service for University Hospitals Dorset
- Age UK
- Benefits & Welfare Handbook for Carers
- Dorset & Wiltshire Fire Service Safety Advice
- Farmers Carers Checklist and Explanation
- Playlist For Life
- Guide for Carers of those with Dementia & Cancer
Training for Carers
- Dementia Workshop
- Rethink Mental Health Workshop: Dealing with Stress & Feelings – 22.09.21
- Parkinson’s Training – 30.09.21
- Emotional Resilience Training – 05.10.21
- Physical Intelligence Training – 12.10.21
- Rethink Mental Health Workshop: Communication – 20.10.21
- Rethink Mental Health Workshop: Recovery – 17.11.21
Events for Carers
- West Dorset Carers Support Group
- Carers In Mind
- Carers Sing Together
- Melodies Remembered
- Virtual Cuppa with Kim Harbut from RNID – 20.10.21
Follow our surgery Facebook page @miltonabbassurgery for useful information and the latest surgery news.