**DUE TO COVID-19 PLEASE CHECK RESTRICTIONS & REQUIREMENTS BEFORE TRAVELLING**
If you’re planning to travel outside the UK, you may need to be vaccinated against some of the serious diseases found in other parts of the world.
To help us offer the most appropriate advice, please fill out the online travel questionnaire first (click here). It is important that you complete and return the online travel questionnaire at least 8 weeks before you travel. This enables the Nurse to review your questionnaire and arrange an appointment for your travel consultation. Any questionnaires submitted less than 8 weeks in advance will not be accepted by the Travel Nursing Team and you will be advised to contact a Travel Clinic.
During your travel consultation the Nurse will:
- Offer advice about the vaccinations that may be recommended for the country that you are travelling to
- Identify those vaccinations that are available on the NHS that can be given in the surgery
- Offer advice and signpost further information related to other risks associated with the country that you are visiting i.e. traveller’s diarrhoea and insect bite avoidance.
We would strongly recommend that you visit the Travel Health Pro website in advance before you come for a travel consultation with our Nurses. If you select the country/countries that you are visiting, you will find general advice and vaccination recommendations for travellers. This will enable you to consider the activities that you are planning and the areas that you will be visiting, and any risks associated with this that may make vaccinations more advisable.
The following travel vaccines are available free on the NHS and can be given here at the surgery:
- Polio (given as a combined diphtheria/tetanus/polio jab)
- Hepatitis A
Private vaccinations are no longer available at the surgery. If these are indicated, we would advise that you arrange an appointment at a private travel clinic for further assessment and immunisation.
Local travel clinics:
- Wimborne Travel Clinic, The Quarter Jack Surgery – See www.dorsettravelclinic.co.uk or telephone 01202 881693 for more information. Please note that they do Yellow Fever vaccinations.
- Victoria Park Pharmacy, Dorchester – See www.victoriaparkpharmacy.co.uk/full-service-travel-health-clinic or telephone 01305 264012 for more information. Please note that they do Yellow Fever vaccinations.
- Babylon Hill Boots, Yeovil – See www.boots.com/travelhealthservice or telephone 01935434621 for more information
- Boots Dolphin Centre, Poole – See www.boots.com/travelhealthservice or telephone 01202 681377 for more information
Demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status when travelling abroad:
You can access your COVID-19 vaccination status through the free NHS App. You can access the app through mobile devices such as a smartphone or by tablet. Proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status will be shown within the NHS App. We recommend that you register with the app before booking international travel.
If you do not have access to a smartphone and know that the country you are travelling to requires COVID-19 vaccination status, you can call the NHS helpline on 119 and ask for a letter to be posted to you. This must be at least 5 days after you’ve completed your course of the vaccine. We expect the letter to take up to 5 days to reach you.
Do not contact your GP surgery about your COVID-19 vaccination status. GPs cannot provide letters showing your COVID-19 vaccination status.
Please click here for the full article on the GOV.UK website.